New York Avenue School
Sick day Guidelines: Making the right call when your child is sick
The New York Ave School houses five full day preschool classes.
The Somers Point School District offers a full-day program for all four-year-old children who reside in the district. This program is designed to help the young child develop cognitive, language, social, emotional and physical skills so that they are prepared with a strong foundation for future learning. The district has adopted the New Jersey Department of Education Early Childhood Education Program Expectations: Standards of Quality as its guide for developing goals and objectives for the pre-kindergarten program. These expectations, based on developmentally appropriate practice for four-year old children, will serve as a foundation on which to build the knowledge and skills necessary to meet the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards and the Somers Point Curriculum Objectives in formal, academic school years.
Curriculum is evidence based and emphasizes child-initiated learning activities that are built on prior learning and experiences. Curriculum and instruction engage children as active learners.
- A rich learning environment provides learning centers that integrate multiple content areas that accommodate active and quiet learning. Space is provided for individual, small and large group activities in view of an adult. Children will have easy access to materials in a literacy-rich environment.
- A daily routine is set that encourages children to make choices and includes activities that meet the individual needs of all children. The routine will allow and encourage opportunities for talk and self-expression.
- Students will be evaluated using multiple assessments that are developmentally appropriate. These assessments will be tied to program goals and will be ongoing, authentic and cumulative.
- Teachers are well-trained and participate in ongoing professional development. Teachers have the opportunity for collaboration and articulation.
- Parent involvement is vital in the success of the program. Therefore, parental outreach will be an essential element and will occur through group and individual meetings and classroom participation.
For more information on the New York Avenue School, select the school from the side menu options.
The Anti-Bullying Specialist is Nancy Mensch. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 927-7161.
Click here to view the New York Avenue HIB Grade Report.