Welcome to the New York Avenue School!
Preschool and Kindergarten registration enrollment for September 2014 will be at the New York Avenue School on the following date and times:
Monday May 19 8:30-10:30 A.M.
Tuesday May 20 8:30-10:30 A.M.
Wednesday May 21 2:00-3:45 P.M.
Be sure to have all the documents listed on this flyer available at the time of registration.
If you cannot register on the above dates, please call the Registrar, Mrs. Skwisz 927-2053 ext. 3220. Registration is by appointment only.
Save time by downloading the registration forms to complete at home and bring them with you on the above dates.
You can also pick up these forms at the Early Childhood Meeting on May 13, 2014 5:30 P.M. at the Jordan Road School.
The New York Ave School houses five full day preschool classes.
The Somers Point School District offers a full-day program for all four-year-old children who reside in the district. This program is designed to help the young child develop cognitive, language, social, emotional and physical skills so that they are prepared with a strong foundation for future learning. The district has adopted the New Jersey Department of Education Early Childhood Education Program Expectations: Standards of Quality as its guide for developing goals and objectives for the pre-kindergarten program. These expectations, based on developmentally appropriate practice for four-year old children, will serve as a foundation on which to build the knowledge and skills necessary to meet the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards and the Somers Point Curriculum Objectives in formal, academic school years.
Curriculum is evidence based and emphasizes child-initiated learning activities that are built on prior learning and experiences. Curriculum and instruction engage children as active learners.
- A rich learning environment provides learning centers that integrate multiple content areas that accommodate active and quiet learning. Space is provided for individual, small and large group activities in view of an adult. Children will have easy access to materials in a literacy-rich environment.
- A daily routine is set that encourages children to make choices and includes activities that meet the individual needs of all children. The routine will allow and encourage opportunities for talk and self-expression.
- Students will be evaluated using multiple assessments that are developmentally appropriate. These assessments will be tied to program goals and will be ongoing, authentic and cumulative.
- Teachers are well-trained and participate in ongoing professional development. Teachers have the opportunity for collaboration and articulation.
- Parent involvement is vital in the success of the program. Therefore, parental outreach will be an essential element and will occur through group and individual meetings and classroom participation.
For more information on the New York Avenue School, select the school from the side menu options.
The Anti-Bullying Specialist is Nancy Mensch. She can be reached at email@example.com or 927-7161.
Click here to view the New York Avenue HIB Grade Report.